Go Back   Easy Xbox 360 Achievements Forums > Xbox 360 Achievement Guides > A - L

Old 05-19-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
Barney Stinson
Master of Order
Points: 1,673, Level: 23 Points: 1,673, Level: 23 Points: 1,673, Level: 23
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
gXboxLive Leaderboard: 9th

Awards Showcase
Master of Order Boosting Challenge Winner 100K Gamerscore Play Anything For Achievements 
Total Awards: 4

Default Alan Wake

Overview
Estimated achievement difficulty: 3.5/10
Offline: 50 (1000)
Online: 0 (0)
Approximate amount of time to 1000: 15-20 hours
Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 2
Does difficulty affect achievements?: Yes.
Glitchy achievements: None!
True Achievement Score: http://www.trueachievements.com/game.aspx?gameid=2333

Introduction:
Welcome to the Alan Wake achievement guide. Here we have quite possibly the best storyline to grace the console so far. So in order to enjoy that experience to the full play through it once the read this guide as I haven't held back on the spoilers.

The game is really easy once you get the hang of the dodging system and shouldn't take you longer than 20 hours to finish if you skip all the cutscenes on your second playthrough.

All in all a very easy, very fun 1k. Just what we like to see!

Onto the guide! Don't read any further unless you want the story spoiled!

Playthrough 1:
Normally what I would say in this situation is get all the collectables done here BUT this game is such an awesome experience I'm going to say just enjoy this first playthrough. get whatever achievements you happen to get the mop up on your nightmare difficulty playthrough. Also I'd recommend not picking up coffee thermoses until you are going through the collectables because this is the only collectable you can't pick up again. i.e. manuscript pages you can pick up in both playthroughs even if you already have it. THIS WILL NOT COUNT TOWARDS THE ACHIEVEMENT. EACH COLLECTABLE ONLY COUNTS ONCE.

By the end of each Episode you should have the following:

Episode 1:
Follow the Light
Drink 'Em Both Up PART 1/2
Let There Be Light
Float Like a Butterfly
*Missed by a Mile*
(ok, i got this one here but i also spend some time practicing the dodging. If you dont get it here don't worry you will have by the end of the game)
Nordic Walking
Bright Falls Finest

Episode 2:
Under a Thin Layer of Skin
Back, Back I Say
Park Ranger

Episode 3:
Sound and Fury
Two For the Price of One
Heavy Metal
Iron Horse
Wheels Within Wheels

*NOTE* Remember where you are going throughout the level from the Museum onwards so that you can get the "Meet the Deadline" achievement easier later.

Episode 4:
Medical Opinions
Boob Tube
Child of the Elder God
Perchance to Dream

Episode 5:
Drink 'Em Bot Up PART 2/2
An Idyllic Small Town
Come One, Come All
Gatekeeper
The Lady of the Light

Episode 6:
Gunless Wonder
Tornado Wrangler
Departure

By the end of the game you should have everything under the "Combat Achievement" section below as well. If not see what weapon you need to use more in your next playthrough. You should be close to getting whichever ones you don't have.

Before you start playthrough 2 there is 4 achievements you want make sure you have because doing them on Nightmare would not be easy at all.

Meet the Deadline
Child of the Elder God
An Idyllic Small Town
Gunless Wonder

Make sure you have all those then press on with your Nightmare playthrough.

Playthrough 2:
This time you want to make sure you get every collectable so take it slow and make sure you don't miss any!

By the end you should have your 1000g! Congratulations on finishing what I found to be a fantastic game!
Items User owns 1x Handgun

Last edited by Barney Stinson; 05-22-2010 at 05:34 PM..
Barney Stinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Barney Stinson
Master of Order

Awards Showcase
Master of Order Boosting Challenge Winner 100K Gamerscore Play Anything For Achievements 

Story Related Achievements

Follow the light 10
Take a night course of light education.

Story Related. This will unlock after you have completed the first chapter of the game “A Writers Dream”

Let There Be Light 10
Get a generator running.

Story Related. You will unlock this once you get to the cabin and must restore power to it and get the lights running.

Nordic Walking 10
Take a walk through the logging area, meet one of the quirky locals.
Story Related. This will unlock towards the end of Episode 1, once you defeat Stucky.

Bright Falls' Finest 20
Call for help.
Story Related. This will unlock at the end of Episode 1, after you get to the gas station and use the phone.

Under a Thin Layer of Skin 10
Defy the park ranger.
Story Related. This will unlock halfway through Episode 2, just after you defeat Rusty.

Park Ranger 15
Enjoy the sounds and sights of Elderwood National Park.
Story Related. This will unlock at the end of Episode 2

Wheels Within Wheels 20
Meet the kidnapper.
Story Related. This will unlock at the end of Episode 3, once you get down to Cauldron Lake.

*NOTE. Make sure you get “HEAVY METAL” and “IRON HORSE” in this chapter.

Perchance to Dream 20
Take a moment to reflect on past events.
Story Related. This will unlock at the end of Episode 4, after you get drunk on moonshine and have your out of body moment

Gatekeeper 10
Cut the power to the transformer yard.
Story Related. This will unlock toward the end of Episode 5, after you meet Cynthia Weaver you will be ordered to do this.

The Lady of the Light 20
Discover the secret she guards.
Story Related. This will unlock at the end of Episode 5, when Cynthia takes you into the “Well Lit Room”.

Tornado Wrangler 20
Defeat the tornado.
Story Related. This will unlock right at end of the game, you will have no more enemies to face past this part! After you go through the tunnel that was blocked by the boat you will see the tornado, its hard to miss!

Departure 40
Complete the game on Normal difficulty.
You must complete the game on either Normal or Hard to start with to unlock Nightmare. I'd recommend Normal for the ease and you will enjoy the spectacular storyline much more.

The game finishes after a VERY confusing ending after walking onto the island again. This is just after the tornado battle.

Hardboiled Writer 40
Complete the game on Hard difficulty.
See “Departure”

Alan, Wake Up 50
Complete the game on Nightmare difficulty.
To unlock Nightmare you must complete the game on either Normal or Hard difficulty.

The difficulties stack so you can play normal first then play nightmare to unlock both the nightmare and hard achievements

Nightmare isn't all that hard if you just push through steadily. Use dodge a lot and conserve whatever ammo you have. If you finish the Episode with 10 flare gun rounds that's better than not being able finish it because you used all your supplies up already. Use the good weaponry ONLY when you NEED too. Also if you see a light up ahead it is a good idea to just run for it as most of the time it will give you a checkpoint. Good Luck!

Last edited by Barney Stinson; 05-22-2010 at 04:35 PM..
Old 05-19-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
Barney Stinson
Master of Order

Awards Showcase

Objective Achievements

Heavy Metal 10
Survive the bulldozer attack.
You really shouldn't miss this achievement, but it is missable. right at the end of Episode 3 chapter 1 you will get a cutscene showing a bulldozer coming at you. YOU MUST KILL IT! boost you torch at it or pop flares, just keep light on him till hes gone and achievement unlocked. It is possible to just run to the gate open it and finish the chapter. If you do this YOU WILL NOT GET THE ACHIEVEMENT!

Iron Horse 10
Encounter a steam engine.
Same deal as the bulldozer. Don't run past it, kill it! Again you will get a cutscene showing the different parts of the steam engine rising up. You must destroy all of them to get the achievement. This occurs in Episode 3 chapter 2. The steam engine is at the point you must pick up a key to open the door.

Meet the Deadline 30
In "Mirror Peak," make it from the Coal Mine Museum to Cauldron Lake in 30 minutes.
You can go for this on your first playthrough if you want, but i wouldn't advise it. I tried to do it on my first playthrough and you will get stuck somewhere and it will slow you down.

Episode 3, chapter 2. "Mirror Peak" after the cutscene where you enter the museum you have 30 minutes to haul ass down to cauldron lake. It isnt difficult once you know what you are doing. it took me about 20 minutes. Keep moving and if can avoid fighting enemies, do so. Just keep running! Flares are your friend here to make a getaway from a battle. (If i ever get my hands on a capture card ill make a video of this to show you how its done)

Medical Opinions 10
Listen to Hartman's recordings.
At the beginning of Episode 4 when you are following Hartman around his lodge is where you will get this. After you have returned to your room and left to go get the key from downstairs, open the door as normal but instead of turning right into the room where Barry is, turn left into the room full of paintings. You will see a tape recorder on the desk right in front of you. Activate this 3 times (you will have to wait for the recording to finish every time) and your achievement will unlock

Boob Tube 5
See what's on TV.
Shortly after "Medical opinions" you will be chased by the darkness. after ducking into the room on the right because the bookcases are blocking your way you will see you next path block by 2 bear statues. Once past these you will be in a room with a TV right in front of you. Turn on this TV and achievement unlocked.

Child of the Elder God 10
Have a rock'n'roll moment without dropping to a low health state.
One of the slightly more tricky achievements in the game, but easy all the same. Towards the end of Episode 4 you will find yourself on stage fighting off taken in a very Left 4 Dead 2 fashion. from the second you are the that stage until you see the fence blow up you cant go into the low health state, which is recognizable by your screen turning black and white. if this happens just reload last checkpoint.

Once on the stage grab as much stuff as you can, namely the pump action shotgun and the flares. If you have time get the heavy duty lantern too. Now just fight off the taken by any means. If you see the stage light come on run under it for a checkpoint. After the fence blows up you should get it.

To make it a lot easier on yourself, do this on Normal

Drink 'Em Both Up 10
Put de lime in de coconut twice.
This is a 2 part achievement you will start in Episode 1 and finish in Episode 5.

Once you arrive in Bright Falls and walk into the diner head to the left and you will find a juke box. Activate the juke box and then kick it to get it moving. Once you here the tune you are done with step 1.

Proceed with the story until you get to Episode 5 where you are moving through the town again with Sheriff Breaker. You will see the diner again eventually. Go in and activate the same juke box again. 10 more points to add to your score!

An Idyllic Small Town 30
Make it through "Night Life in Bright Falls" in one go without dying or restarting even once.
A lot easier than it seems. Episode 5 chapter 1 is where you want to be. You will be with the sheriff the whole way who has a heck of an aim so she is your best friend here. keep close to her and use flares when needed. the only tricky parts are outside the church and at the helipad. the church is easy enough because the sheriff is helping you. Just concentrate on ones near you and pop flares if they start to swarm up on you. Be careful about the fast moving ones, they can creep up on you at any time.

The helipad is a little harder because the sheriff is in the chopper so your on your own. luckily there is LOADS of supplies. so before you trigger the cutscene by walking up to the helipad, gather up as much stuff as you can and get ready for a fairly lengthy fight. Flashbangs here will help hugely. once you get in the chopper and fly away you are done and 30g better off for it.

Gunless Wonder 30
Make it to Cauldron Lake without firing a single shot in "On the Road to Cauldron Lake."
Again, not very hard at all. I managed to do this on my first playthrough. On Episode 6 you cant fire a single shot ever. You are limited to flashbangs, flares and your torch. Luckily they are everywhere. You are going to want to avoid combat as much as possible and just go from checkpoint to checkpoint as quick as you can. You can also use your car headlights, so stay in the car for as long as you can, only get out when you have to and proceed to run down anything that moves.

Tip for the battle with the big searchlight in the middle of the ghost town: Pop a flare next to the cart you need to push and push. when it runs out pop another one. This way you wont need to fight the huge amount of enemies that come after you. This method can be applied anywhere in the game and id recommend it for certain spots on Nightmare too.

Last edited by Barney Stinson; 05-22-2010 at 05:36 PM..
Old 05-19-2010, 12:54 AM   #4
Barney Stinson
Master of Order

Awards Showcase

Combat Achievements

If It Flies, It Burns 20
Burn 1,000 birds.
This can be unlocked in 1 playthrough. If you don't get it in your first playthrough you will get it right near the beginning of your second playthrough. To burn a bird you shine your torch at them. To burn them quicker boost you light with (LT). They fly at you in huge flocks so you will get lots of kills in each bird section. I finished my 1st playthrough with little under 900.

They're Heeeeeere! 20
Inanimate objects shouldn't move of their own accord. Put a stop to this affront, oh, say, 20 times.
For this achievement you must destroy 20 poltergeist controlled objects. They will be floating objects that hurl themselves at you. You will find them a lot in the later parts of the game. Simply shine your torch on them until they disappear and repeat 19 more times. You should get this before you finish your 1st playthrough.

The Six-Gun Scribe 20
Defeat 100 Taken with the revolver.
You will almost definitely get this in your first playthrough. Simply boost the light on the enemies until the circle on them disappears then shoot them with the revolver. By the end of my 2 playthroughs i had 391 revolver kills so its a sure thing getting this one.

Taken Season 20
Defeat 50 Taken with the hunting rifle.
See "The Six-Gun Scribe" for more info except this time kill them with the hunting rifle again you will get a lot of this during your 2 playthroughs. The hunting rifle (for me) was the best weapon on Nightmare as it is extremely powerful and could take down most enemies in 1 or 2 hits.

It's Not Just a Typewriter Brand 20
Defeat 50 Taken with a shotgun.
See "The Six-Gun Scribe" for more info except this time kill them with the shotgun. Again you should get plenty through the 2 playthroughs

What Light Through Yonder Window 20
Defeat 50 Taken with the flaregun, the way Shakespeare intended.
See "The Six-Gun Scribe" for more info except this time kill them with the flaregun. The flare gun is by far the best weapon in the game on a par with flashbangs. Use them sparingly as they dont come around often. use it when there is a lot of taken around you for maximum efficiency. You will find a lot of these scattered around Episode 6 also.

Thunder and Lightning 20
Defeat 50 Taken with flashbang grenades.
See "The Six-Gun Scribe" for more info except this time kill them with flashbangs. These are just as useful as flares. Use them in the same manner as flaregun rounds. Again, extremely useful for huge crowds of taken.

Collateral Carnage 20
Defeat 20 Taken with indirect means.
Indirect means are kills by using things such as gas canisters. when the taken are next to the gas canister shoot the canister and hopefully it will kill the taken. Also the fireworks on the farm where you are on stage seem to count too as my achievement unlocked when Barry set those off. So even though I didnt kill them i got the achievement.

Right of Way 10
Drive over 15 Taken.
At the end of chapter 2 is your earliest opportunity for this. Once in the car use (LT) to boost the light and just run over the taken. If you so wish you can drive around this area and get 15 right away.

Come One, Come All 10
Kill four Taken with a single shot from the flaregun.
This is extremely easy, especially later on in the game. Save a flaregun round and when there are 4 or more of them all rounded up fire away and you should take them all out. One place i can think of is at the end of Episode 5 before the tornado chase you on the bridge. there will be lots of take that come after you. round them up into a bunch and shoot.

Sound and Fury 10
Kill four Taken with a single flashbang.
See "Come One, Come All" except this time use a flashbang

Two for the Price of One 10
Kill two Taken with a single shotgun blast.
A lot easier than it seems. Use your torch to weaken 2 enemies down (small weaker enemies) then when they are right next to each other, offload the shot. There will be LOTS of opportunities to do this in a playthrough and truth be told you will probably end up doing it multiple times

Back! Back, I Say! 10
Save yourself with a flare.
Extremely easy. All you must do is pop a flare when you are in a low health state. A low health state is when your screen is black and white. When this happens hit (RB) with your flare equipped and this one is yours.

Last edited by Barney Stinson; 05-22-2010 at 05:38 PM..
Old 05-19-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
Barney Stinson
Master of Order

Awards Showcase

Float Like a Butterfly 15
Perform a cinematic dodge.
See "Missed by a Mile"

Missed by a Mile 25
Perform a cinematic dodge 20 times.
To perform a cinematic dodge you must hit (LB) at the correct time while a taken is attacking you. You will know if you did so successfully because the game will go into a slow motion state and you will see yourself dodging an attack.

This is very easy to pull off and by the end of the first Episode or 2 you will have this for sure.

Energized 10
Use 100 batteries.
Another one that will be unlocked before you are done with the rest of the achievements. To change batteries you must hit the (Y) button while you torch isn't full. By the end of the my 2 playthroughs i had used around 500 batteries so this really isn't an achievement to worry about

Collectable Achievements

For all the collectables I'm going to embed some videos below with them all in order so it is much easier. They are not my videos and i am not here to take credit for them. Full credit for the videos goes to savgcom over on youtube. Thank you very much for the fantastics videos

You can keep track of how many collectables you have in the "statistics " screen.

Carny 10
Knock over five can pyramids.
This is the only collectable you don't need all of. There are 12 can pyramids total in the game and you only need to knock over 5. To knock one over simply shoot it. I'd recommend the revolver because you will want to conserve other ammo for things that are a threat.

Finders Keepers 20
Discover 5 hidden chests.
See "Every Nook and Cranny"

Every Nook and Cranny 30
Discover all of the hidden chests.
Hidden chests are chests of supplies and can be located by following arrows painted in places that are visible when you shine your torch on them.

There are 30 chests total

Paging Mr. Wake 20
Find 25 manuscript pages.
See "Picking Up After Yourself"

Picking Up After Yourself 30
Find all of the manuscript pages in Normal mode.
Pages are very easy to see. they are pieces of paper and they have a glow around them. In this dark game they stick out like a sore thumb. You can see which pages you still need in the Pause Menu under "Manuscript".

Collector's Edition 50
Find all of the manuscript pages in the game, including the ones in Nightmare mode.
See "Picking Up After Yourself" for more info on pages. On top of those you must acquire the pages that only appear while your are on nightmare difficulty.

There are 106 pages total 15 of which are Nightmare pages

Damn Good Cup of Coffee 20
Discover 25 coffee thermoses.
See "Hypercaffeinated"

Hypercaffeinated 30
Discover all coffee thermoses.
Thermoses are blue and are hidden in some very clever places. These are the only collectables that cannot be picked up again. All the other collectables you can re-acquire but you must get all of them. You can't pick up the same one over and over. For this fact I'd advise leaving your coffee until you have the guide at hand because otherwise you cannot make sure you have each one.

There are 100 Coffee Thermoses total

KBF-FM 30
Listen to all of the radio shows.

Radios look like..... radios. All you must do is walk up to them and turn them on. You don;t need to listen to them unless you want to.

Couch Potato 30
Watch every single TV show.
Tv's are TV looking. Not HD or anything just an old school TV. Again simply turn them on and you can leave. The only one that looks different is story related at the beginning of Episode 6 in your apartment. That one is HD!

Bright Falls Aficionado 30
Absorb every bit of local history and culture.
All you must do is walk up to the sign and activate it. once the text appears on screen you can back out and carry on playing.

Last edited by Barney Stinson; 05-22-2010 at 05:41 PM..
Old 05-19-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
Barney Stinson
Master of Order

Awards Showcase

Collectable Videos
Full credit for the videos goes to savgcom over on youtube. Thank you very much for the fantastics videos

EPISODE 1

EPISODE 2

EPISODE 3

EPISODE 4

EPISODE 5

EPISODE 6

Last edited by Barney Stinson; 05-19-2010 at 10:32 PM..
Old 05-19-2010, 12:57 AM   #7
Barney Stinson
Master of Order

Awards Showcase

Special Feature 1: The Signal

Overview

Price FREE if you bought the game new 560msp if you didnt
Total gs 250

Length 2-5hrs
Difficulty 4.5/10
Offline 8 (250)
Online 0 (0)
Missable Achievements 6
Minimum Playthroughs 1 technically but realistically 2
Glitched Achievements 1 read below
Does Difficulty Affect Achievements? No Difficulty option

This DLC isn't very long and wont take you much more than an hour per playthrough. It is a little bit harder than the original 1000 due to the "Run On Sentence" achievement. But it is still easy enough.

Lets start with the glitchy achievement. "Fast and Furious". It has been reported that if you move forward to fast when you destroy the boat the game will freeze which can block you out of any achievements you get at the end (Run on sentence and A Friend Indeed), thus forcing you to redo the achievement! To prevent this make sure you wait until the boat has fully disappeared before you move on.

You will want to do this in 2 playthroughs because collecting and not using a car without dying is not easy to do. You can try if you wish but for this guide I will be taking you through 2.

Playthrough 1 you are going to want to get EVERY achievement except "Run On Sentence". So you want to get all the collectibles, set off all the furnaces, never get in a car and beat the final boss in under 1 minute 30 seconds.

Playthrough 2 will hopefully start with you on 200/250 on this DLC and all you will be concentrating on is the not dying part.

A Friend in Need 25
Special 1: Find someone to help you.
Story Related. You will find yourself outside in a car park with a few words in a circle. shine your light on all of them and achievement unlocked

A Friend Indeed 50
Special 1: Follow the signal to its conclusion.
Story Related. Once you get to your apartment you have to fight the TV. After you defeat its 3 stages you will have to fight a boat. Defeat the boat and you are done.

Fast and Furious 25
Special 1: Make it through the final battle in less than 1 minute and 30 seconds.
My advice for this would be: save your flare gun rounds. This way you can get through the 3 TV stages with 1 shot and will have loads of time to finish off the boat. Once you defeat the Boat don't push forward until it has fully disappeared to ensure your game doesn't freeze on you.

Words Will Never Harm You 25
Special 1: Trigger all of the furnaces in the basement.
Once you are inside the church you will have to go down into the basement. You will see the the word "Blast" in front of all of the furnaces. All you have to do is shine your light on all these words and the achievement is yours. I would advise killing all the enemies first then you can move around freely getting all of them done. There are a LOT to do.

Run-On Sentence 50
Special 1: Complete the episode without reloading the game or restarting a checkpoint.
This is the hardest achievement on the whole of this game (original 1000 included) but with a little patience and practice you will get it. Personally i got it on my 3rd playthrough of the DLC. You want to use the same tactics as i listed for the nightmare difficulty on the original 1000.

The hardest part here is the forest. make sure you have flares and RUN! once you get to the train car it is a good idea to have your flare gun equipped turn around and fire one off at the pursuing enemies.

Another tricky part would be the monster trucks in the lumber yard. Get in a jeep and drive over to the light but DO NOT hit the switch yet. Stand there and pick off the trucks from just outside the safety of the light. Watch out for enemies coming behind you from inside the little shelter you are in. Once the trucks are gone make a move for the barn and shoot the canisters inside to eradicate most of the Taken inside.

On another note make sure you pick up the Pump action shotgun from next to the light. it is the word "Pump" you must shine your light on to get it.

Other than these 2 parts the rest is pretty easy. The final boss is also really easy, ESPECIALLY if you have flare gun ammo.

Good luck and stick with it, the 50g will be yours soon enough.

License Revoked 20
Special 1: Complete the episode without using a single vehicle.
Once you get to the lumberyard you will see a wide open space between you and the light at the other side. You will see the word "wheels" dotted around the place to. These are the cars. You can shine your light on them to make them appear but you CANNOT get in any of them. You must get to the other side of the yard and back and through the barn without using one. Once you get out the barn at the other side the achievement will unlock

Tick Tock 30
Special 1: Discover 10 hidden alarm clocks.
Full credit for this video goes to Achievaholics on youtube.

Cardboard Companions 25
Special 1: Discover all of the cardboard standees.
See "Tick Tock"
There are a total of 6 cardboard cutouts

WORK IN PROGRESS!

Last edited by Barney Stinson; 08-01-2010 at 11:07 AM..
Old 05-19-2010, 12:57 AM   #8
Barney Stinson
Master of Order

Awards Showcase

ANNNND. another 1 for DLC

Last edited by Barney Stinson; 05-19-2010 at 10:34 PM..
Old 05-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
Slam Da Brakes
Vulcan High Command
Points: 7,812, Level: 59 Points: 7,812, Level: 59 Points: 7,812, Level: 59
Activity: 65%
Activity: 65% Activity: 65% Activity: 65%

Tournaments Joined: 3
Tournaments Won: 1

Awards Showcase
Play Anything For Achievements Winner EX3A Member 
Total Awards: 3

Looking good Cla55y!

If you need more space, I'll delete this post. If you need help in embedding videos check this post or I can help.

My Countdown Counting down to: Until I feel pain..
3584 days 1 hours 10 minutes
Items User owns 1x AK47 User owns 1x Pump Shotgun
Slam Da Brakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
Barney Stinson
Master of Order

Awards Showcase

ok, thanks. im working on this on a word doc atm so if it seems im not doing anything, i am. honest. might be a bit slow getting it done to but it will get done
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode