Activity: 70%
Activity: 70% Activity: 70% Activity: 70%

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0

Awards Showcase
Sig Pimp GFX Skilled Master of Order Play Anything For Achievements 
Total Awards: 5

DefaultPay for COD Multiplayer?

I was reading some stuff on my G4 app today and ran across this article.

Quote:
A research note released today suggests that stock-holders won't be happy until Activision implements an additional fee for players who wish to participate in any CoD multiplayer modes. According to an analyst, keeping Call of Duty's multiplayer free is "a betrayal of shareholder trust."

Michael Pachter, a Wedbush analyst, suggested that Activision's decision to not charge players an additional fee for multiplayer is "a serious strategic error." Pachter went on to say, "We firmly believe that until the publishers address monetisation of multiplayer, game sales will continue to be challenged by the publishers' altruistic decision to provide significantly more entertainment value per hour than ever in history."

This is a response to Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg's promise that Activision would never charge for "out of the box" CoD multiplayer. However, Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick said he would charge Call of Duty players a subscription service "tomorrow" if he had his way.

The Call of Duty franchise is known for its multiplayer. CoD: Modern Warfare 2 and CoD: Black Ops are among the most popular played games on Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network. Would you continue to play if you had to pay a subscription fee? Pay-to-play didn't work out so well for APB: All Points Bulletin, could this be beginning of CoD's downfall?

Read more: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...#ixzz17NT4Z2RU
Shareholders of Activision want to charge players to play their multiplayer portion of COD. So not only do you pay for the game and xbox live you would have to pay to play the multiplayer portion of the game you just bought. From the article I get that it wouldn't be like EA's online pass where you get a code when you buy the game. They want to make everyone pay for the multiplayer experience.

So would you keep playing COD: BO's multiplayer if you had to pay a fee for it? Would you keep playing if that fee was a monthly fee?

I know that I would not. There is no chance that they would be able to get more money out of me than they already do.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
Ltpenguin
Master of Order
Points: 1,589, Level: 22 Points: 1,589, Level: 22 Points: 1,589, Level: 22
Activity: 57%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

gXboxLive Leaderboard: 43rd

Awards Showcase
Sig Pimp Master of Order GFX Skilled Play Anything For Achievements 
Total Awards: 4

that ridiculous! I definitely wouldn't pay for multiplayer i can see if they went the ea way and gave online with a new purchase but to buy it separate or charge monthly i would go to other games >.> i am up 2 here with the kids that somehow get the game already, making me pay to listen 2 them?!?! forget it
Old 12-07-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
Gun Devil 2
Shadow General
Points: 3,939, Level: 39 Points: 3,939, Level: 39 Points: 3,939, Level: 39
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Simon Champion!

Awards Showcase
GFX Skilled Master of Order Play Anything For Achievements 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via ICQ to Gun Devil 2 Send a message via AIM to Gun Devil 2 Send a message via MSN to Gun Devil 2 Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Devil 2 Send a message via Skype™ to Gun Devil 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltpenguin View Post
i am up 2 here with the kids that somehow get the game already, making me pay to listen 2 them?!?! forget it
Ltpenguin you hit the nail on the head. I have to mute half the people I play with because they are annoying or are play stupid music in the back ground. Why would I pay for that?

Not only would they not get the monthly subscription fee from me, they wouldn't get the $60 for the game. I'm not going to pay that much for a game I can beat on the hardest difficulty in one maybe two days.

I can swallow EA's version a little easier.

If anyone wants to start a conspiracy theory one could say that Activision and EA are teaming up on their strategies. Activision maybe publicizing their ridiculous method of increasing their profits and at the last moment (if things don't look like it will be accepted) pull the plug on it and while the dust settles EA's version will become the standard a lot easier.

It could be time to break out the molotovs and let them fly.

100% Arcade Complete(1):
Dash of Destruction

Windows Phone 7 (2):

My Countdown Counting down to: Until I obtain 100K gamer score!
55 days 16 hours 45 minutes
Items
Gun Devil 2 is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:50 AM   #4
that_sausage
Master of Visions
Points: 370, Level: 7 Points: 370, Level: 7 Points: 370, Level: 7
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

gXboxLive Leaderboard: 38th

I have reserved a spot on my @$$ where they can kiss. I've already shelled out $64 on the game and payed for a year of XBOX Live. If they implement it, I'll never purchase a game from them ever.
Items
that_sausage is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:52 AM   #5
mestiso7323
Shadow General
Points: 2,613, Level: 31 Points: 2,613, Level: 31 Points: 2,613, Level: 31
Activity: 70%
Activity: 70% Activity: 70% Activity: 70%

Awards Showcase
Sig Pimp GFX Skilled Master of Order Play Anything For Achievements 

Im glad that i am not the only one that thinks it would be ridiculous. I couldnt imagine paying extra for it.

I agree with gundevil though. It might be time to break out the molotovs. FUEGO!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Nwehrman11
Shadow General
Points: 10,286, Level: 67 Points: 10,286, Level: 67 Points: 10,286, Level: 67
Activity: 80%
Activity: 80% Activity: 80% Activity: 80%

Tournaments Joined: 2
Tournaments Won: 1

Awards Showcase
Gold Guide Award Master of Order Call Of Duty Black Ops Challenge Winner Level 50 

I voted 'no' as well. I like CoD games. I really do. I usually enjoy the campaigns alot whether there really hard on veteran or kinda easy on veteran I still enjoy them. Multiplayer I have always enjoyed too. MW2 being my favorite by far, and 4 right behind it and then WaW (never played the earlier ones). But in my opinion, the Black Ops multiplayer is not that good. I like a few aspects of it like Gungame I really enjoy, and the fact that you earn money and you can gamble it is a pretty cool new feature I think, but the gameplay all in all, is very sub-par compared to MW2. So that being said, no I would certainly not pay for multiplayer for CoD, expecially not Black Ops. MW2 I probably would.

I wouldn't be all that upset if they did what EA is doing these days with the pass coming with the purchase of a new game, as I usually get the big titles soon after they come out, if not at midnight.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
Slam Da Brakes
Vulcan High Command
Points: 9,062, Level: 64 Points: 9,062, Level: 64 Points: 9,062, Level: 64
Activity: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Tournaments Joined: 4

Awards Showcase
Shadow Lord Shadow Master Dark General Level 50 
Total Awards: 7

If you pay for a service then you should be entitled to demand better?

e.g. superfast dedicated servers, virtually no glitches or prompt updates, cheats and obnoxious players banned instantly, more moderators, etc. If they don't they will soon lose subscriptions.

Most likely less people - even less minors - playing because of the cost?
Slam Da Brakes is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
Ltpenguin
Master of Order
Points: 1,589, Level: 22 Points: 1,589, Level: 22 Points: 1,589, Level: 22
Activity: 57%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

gXboxLive Leaderboard: 43rd

Awards Showcase
Sig Pimp Master of Order GFX Skilled Play Anything For Achievements 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam Da Brakes View Post
If you pay for a service then you should be entitled to demand better?

e.g. superfast dedicated servers, virtually no glitches or prompt updates, cheats and obnoxious players banned instantly, more moderators, etc. If they don't they will soon lose subscriptions.

Most likely less people - even less minors - playing because of the cost?
well if you put it that way it sounds alot better, but i still wouldnt pay if it was monthly even if they had all of that stuff, 1 time fee is okay if i get all those things. :]
Old 12-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #9
Nwehrman11
Shadow General
Points: 10,286, Level: 67 Points: 10,286, Level: 67 Points: 10,286, Level: 67
Activity: 80%
Activity: 80% Activity: 80% Activity: 80%

Tournaments Joined: 2

Awards Showcase
Gold Guide Award Master of Order Call Of Duty Black Ops Challenge Winner Level 50 

It's not like money is the issue with most people I wouldn't imagine. Chances are it won't be that expensive if they did make us pay for online. It's just the principle of the matter. We already pay almost 64 bucks for the game when it comes out. Games didn't use to be that expensive I remember when they were 50 instead of 60 when they came out not all that long ago. They jack the prices up on those. They jacked the prices up for Xbox Live, not by much but they did. Now they want to charge us to play onlione, on top of the money we pay for XBL. That in my opinion is just illogical. If the games were getting increasingly better and better online I can maybe see myself doing it, but the Black Ops multiplayer was just not that good in all honesty. Pretty soon we will be paying 70+ for new games when they come out, more money for Xbox Live subscriptions, AND paying just to be able to play certain games online. It has to stop somewhere they are just getting too money hungry. They can't sit there and say they don't make enough money. They sell millions of copies of there new games.

Now Im only 19, I have a job working 40 hours a week I make halfway decent money for my age. My parents both have good paying jobs and are pretty well off so it's not like I wouldn't be able to afford it, like I said it's just the principle of the matter, they have to quit trying to charge us more and more.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:48 AM   #10
that_sausage
Master of Visions
Points: 370, Level: 7 Points: 370, Level: 7 Points: 370, Level: 7
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

gXboxLive Leaderboard: 38th

I could see it possible if they lowered the price of the game and Microsoft lowering the subscription fee. But the likelihood of that happening is when politicians become honest.
Items
that_sausage is offline  Reply With Quote

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeLinear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode