Go Back   Easy Xbox 360 Achievements Forums > Main Topics > Xbox 360 Achievements

Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM   #1
whttrashtheman
Master of Order

gXboxLive Leaderboard: 17th

Awards Showcase
Master of Order 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via Yahoo to whttrashtheman
Default Dead Achievements

The problem with old games is that if they have online achievements the servers may be off or limited. It seems to happen mostly with sports games, but the fact remains that when a server disappears, we lose the ability to get achievements. Recently nba2k8 decided to ditch the majority of their features on their server, thus making it so you can never get some of the achievements and making others almost impossible to get. This is not a very old game. But 2k sports has made their decision and thats it. I have already written them a few choice letters concerning this, but that is neither here nor there. I think the simple solution to the problem is free achievements. They always push updates to the games, so make it so that if i access a dead xbox live server that all the achievements i could have gotten when it was up should pop. That takes care of it, completionists can finish their games and everyone is happy. It seems like a simple solution. If you take away my ability to get the points, then you should just give them to me for playing your filthy game. Thats just my 2 cents, but i will keep writing letters to these sports game companys (or more accuratly have my secretary write and send them ) until i get us all some free points.
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM   #2
msross
Adept

Nice idea, but I dont think MS would be accepting on them handing out the points just because the server has gone down..
2K (& more likely EA) will look at it as a way for pushing forward momentum on players upgrading to a newer version of their software, ie, more sales..

What I dont get is, why not just leave the infrastructure in place for the games? - they already have the infrastructure, if its about the running costs, virtualisation would work a treat. - They not being used as much, so throughput wouldnt be an issue.. Leaderboard scores really wouldnt matter if the game was actually dead..

2K/EA/etc would rather than completionists would spend the time when the server was actually running, as it would translate into sales & revenue.. Buying old games from ebay or 2nd hand from whereever means that the companies dont get any money from them.. its a way to kill off the market for that game (again pushing people to a newer version IF the user was buying it for the game & not the achivements)

Keep writing though, Im sure their secretaries enjoy reading the letters from your secretary.
msross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:06 AM   #3
Slam Da Brakes
Vulcan High Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by whttrashtheman View Post
. I think the simple solution to the problem is free achievements. They always push updates to the games, so make it so that if i access a dead xbox live server that all the achievements i could have gotten when it was up should pop.
I would love this, then we could do a section called "Free Dead Achievements" WE all just wait until the game goes dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msross View Post
virtualisation would work a treat.
Good point. Virtual servers. Just disable leaderboards that no one cares about anyway.

100% Completion :

"Can you do us a favor & not mention Avatar as 100 % completion" - original quote from x360a.org member
Slam Da Brakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:02 AM   #4
Everton
Master of Order

Awards Showcase
Master of Order 
Total Awards: 1

Right with you on this trash

Its a disgrace and something to take into consideration when buying any future products from such providers

My own view is that all ach should be SP anyway.

MP ach are generally the poorest implemented. From the very original beat 100 opponents to the ever popular win 50 races....its all drivel.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode