Tournaments Joined:
Tournaments Won:
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):

Default How to Repair a Scratched Disk

Welll, who hasn't scratched the heck out of a game before? well here are some rumored techniques i have found online that might repair a (small) scratch. first of all i have 3 different methods in order of the most effectiveness. Before attempting these know that to do these at your own risk, i am not responsible fro and extra damage you do to your disk after this point.

Materials: Turtle Wax, Paper Towel, Smooth non abrasive cloth such as glasses polishing cloths

What to do: place a paper towel on your work surface and place the disk scratched side up, then with the turtle was applicator damped in then rub some wax on the applicator. apply it from the inner disk to the outer disk in a vertical motion. once the disk is completely coated in turtle wax, begin to swirl around the scratched areas, push lightly. "buff out the disk in a circular motion" go around the disk 20-30 times slow, even big swirls, not tiny circles. then once you have done this, without getting any more wax from the tub wipe the wax from the inside of the disk out, and with paper towel very lightly rub mroe wax, then fianlly use the glasses cloth and rub the rest off, remember to be going from the inner circle to the outer side of the disk.

dont run it under water. let it sit there for 15 minutes.

Effectiveness: 6/10

Materials: toothpaste, a finger, a sink.DO NOT USE TOOTHPASTE WITH LITTLE CHUNKS IN IT LIKE WITH MICRO FLAKE BREATH FRESHENER. YOUR TOOTHPASTE MUST BE ABSOLUTELY SMOOTH

How to: apple toothpaste to the disk, and from the inside of the disk to the outer disk spread it out. push hard, you want the toothpaste to fill the very small scratch's groove. Rinse and repeat, after doing this 5 times see if your disk works, if not repeat.

Effectiveness: 4/10

Materials: a blockbuster account and a store near you.

How to: I advise not to do this, because its illegal.
Say you just scratched your brand new copy of modern warfare 2 , you can go into blockbuster (gamecrazy) and rent the new call of duty, then when you go to return it, being the mastermind villain you are, switch the disks out and returned the scratched one! they'll never know!!!! Only do this if the disk does not look horribly scratched. Actually you wont be doing this at all because its illegal

I have used all techniques here except the third. My ODST disk still wont work but i continue to wax it with turtle wax.

Please do not attempt this one. it is a lie i found on youtube that makes your disk 100% worse

Materials: peanut butter toothpaste diet soda baking soda small container

rub toothpaste all over your disk then apply peanut butter and scrub it off, then reapply both and but it in the container then out diet soda all over it and then baking soda.

Okay do not attempt this my odst will never work because of it, its 50% worse.
Items

Re: How to Repair a Scratched Disk
Old 02-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
acedawg4
Shadow Master
Points: 7,790, Level: 59 Points: 7,790, Level: 59 Points: 7,790, Level: 59
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

acedawg4's Flag is: United States

Tournaments Joined: 2
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 22

Awards Showcase
Membership Level 3 Reached Shadow Master 300K Gamerscore Level 50 200K Gamerscore 250K Gamerscore Bravo Team Member Donated Membership Level 2 Reached Membership Level 1 Reached Addicted Challenger Dark General 100K Gamerscore Master of Order Play Anything For Achievements 
Total Awards: 15

I also heard of rubbing alchol and wiping it down!

Also heard of a nasty rumor of people sticking it in the toliet bowl (perferable cleaned out...lol) And flush 3 times and dry off the disc
Items User owns 1x Fat Boy Nuclear Bomb User owns 1x Battle Cyborg Robot User owns 1x Battle Tank

Old 02-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
XxB3asti3xX
Super Moderator
Points: 8,594, Level: 62 Points: 8,594, Level: 62 Points: 8,594, Level: 62
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

XxB3asti3xX's Flag is: United States

Moon Lander Champion!
Tournaments Joined: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 122
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 144
Likes (Received): 111

Awards Showcase
Membership Level 4 Reached 100K Gamerscore Level 50 Membership Level 3 Reached Alpha Team Member  Dark General  Bot Hunter Play Anything For Achievements Bot Killer Membership Level 1 Reached Membership Level 2 Reached Winner EX3A Member USA Team Member Master of Order USA Team Member 
Total Awards: 18

Why do all of that when you can buy a disc repair kit at almost any game store that will be much more likely to work than any of those.

As for Blockbuster they used to have bar codes on the top of the disk itself and to return the game they not only had to scan the case but the disk as well. Assuming they still do, which I don't see why they wouldn't, you would be caught as soon as they looked.

Items User owns 1x AK47 User owns 1x Battle Cyborg Robot User owns 1x Battle Tank User owns 1x Intercontinental Ballistic Missile User owns 1x P90

Old 02-15-2010, 02:08 AM   #4
CovertPimpSloth
Shadow Master
Points: 10,128, Level: 67 Points: 10,128, Level: 67 Points: 10,128, Level: 67
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Tournaments Joined: 1
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0

Awards Showcase
Membership Level 4 Reached Membership Level 3 Reached Level 50 Shadow Master Gold Guide Award Play Anything For Achievements Staff Writer Winner EX3A Member USA Team Member Dark General Master of Order Guide Award 
Total Awards: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_correa4 View Post
I also heard of rubbing alchol and wiping it down!

Also heard of a nasty rumor of people sticking it in the toliet bowl (perferable cleaned out...lol) And flush 3 times and dry off the disc
yep ive done this and it actually worked more times than not.

My Awards:
Items

Old 02-15-2010, 05:51 AM   #5
GlenGrainger

Tournaments Joined:
Tournaments Won:
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxB3asti3xX View Post
Why do all of that when you can buy a disc repair kit at almost any game store that will be much more likely to work than any of those.

As for Blockbuster they used to have bar codes on the top of the disk itself and to return the game they not only had to scan the case but the disk as well. Assuming they still do, which I don't see why they wouldn't, you would be caught as soon as they looked.
Yeah, disk repair kits are pretty cheap, but then most of Game stores have proper cleaning machines that will remove the scratches perfectly, price about $2 - $5. Local store has one near me.

Usually Blockbusters have a sticker that is around the 'hole' in the center of the disk with the store name, phone number and a bar code, so if they didn't look when you first handed it in, they would a little later and look up in the system who returned it last.

The 'wax' trick actually works most of the time, depends on how deep the scratch is, I remember doing that trick (many many moons ago) when I used to hire PSX games to play, spend near the same amount of time 'repairing' disks as I did playing them. I never used 'turtle wax' though, kitten or silicon glaze did the job.
Items

Old 02-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
HawkTeflon

Tournaments Joined:
Tournaments Won:
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):

I can confirm the toothpaste trick. It took 3 tries, but it worked. Fallout 3 glitched on m , and I was stuck in Megaton. After that trick, I was actually able to go explore the rest of DC.
Items

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode