Go Back   Easy Xbox 360 Achievements Forums > Main Topics > Xbox 360 Achievements

Old 05-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
msross
Adept

it isn't technically that easy though..
The 360's 'guide button menu' runs in a separate process to the game being played (for 360 games). - that's why on certain games, some games pause the game & some don't.. - its also the reason why achievements are centralised within the 360 & not just within the singular game itself.. - ie, the programmer need only call an API & the 360 itself deals with the details about it being unlocked/the sound/pop up etc... (its how the PS3 works too, & how the wii doesn't, which is why the wii will never have achievements/trophies)

The 360 backwards compatible bit though is essentially a game, which just happens to be emulating an xbox game... - but the 360 BC layer doesn't fully "know" whats going on inside the game,so it doesn't know if things should be unlocked or not (with exception of things like 'Time played', or controller responses).. To change this, would require a re-write of the emulated game to 'plug in' to the achievements somehow.. which given that some games dev teams might not be available, or original code might not be available, means that potential achievements would be very hit & miss..

This also assumes that each BC based game runs under its own BC emulator, which it doesn't, so there would need to be some way of differentiating between the multitude of of it offers... also, what would it do with the original disk based games, Versus the downloaded ones..
msross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
Slam Da Brakes
Vulcan High Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by msross View Post
it isn't technically that easy though..
Wow thanks for the very informative heads up!

I guess it wouldn't be that easy then. Shame.

I remember a pic that appeared on the old dashboard that made me excited but I guess they were just testing....

Maybe they could make some of them Arcade? 1600 MS points for 200 achievement points
Attached Thumbnails

100% Completion :

"Can you do us a favor & not mention Avatar as 100 % completion" - original quote from x360a.org member
Slam Da Brakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #13
XxB3asti3xX
Adept Brotherhood

Moon Lander Champion!

@Slam Those still show up like that saying 0 of 0 achievements. Halo 2 does it for me at least not sure about any others.

Also another problem would be that some games from the original xbox will not play on the 360, Madden 07 is one of them I know about first hand.

XxB3asti3xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #14
Slam Da Brakes
Vulcan High Command

Yeah some have patches for backward compatibility while others don't.

The PS3 had full hardware based backward compatibility but that changed last year when they introduced a new chip. Maybe to make way for trophies?

100% Completion :

"Can you do us a favor & not mention Avatar as 100 % completion" - original quote from x360a.org member
Slam Da Brakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode